2018: theYear of the Anacostia
The Year of the Anacostia is a yearlong invitation to celebrate our Anacostia River and our nearby parks and communities, to honor our history, and to envision our future.
2018 is going to be a big year for the Anacostia River corridor! Next year will include important anniversaries and milestones for the river, the parks and the neighborhoods near the waterfront. Recognizing this momentum, the DC Council introduced a resolution to declare 2018 as The Year of the Anacostia, and the Prince Georges County Council passed such a resolution on November 14.
Here are some of the things happening next year:
- 100th Anniversary of Anacostia Park on the waterfront (August 31)
- 200th Birthday of Frederick Douglass: the “Lion of the Anacostia” (February)
- The completion of the Anacostia River Tunnel Project, which will significantly reduce sewage flowing into the river (mid-year)
- The Major League Baseball All-Star Game at Nationals Park (July)
- 50th Anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act and the National Trails System Act (October 2nd)
- Completion of several plans for cleaning up contaminated sites along the river
A Yearlong Event
Here's a sneak peak at a calendar of events currently being planned:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service in Anacostia Park - January 15, 2018
- Frederick Douglass Birthday Weekend, Frederick Douglass National Historic Site - February 17-18, 2018
- Anacostia River Festival, Anacostia Park - April 15, 2018
- Major League Baseball's All-Star Game, Nationals Park - July 17, 2018
Stay tuned for more events, and get invitations when more details come out!
Join the Conversation
How are you going to celebrate the #yearoftheanacostia?
Stay up to date!
Sign up to get email updates and event invitations related to the Year of the Anacostia: